Wednesday, October 14, 2009

METEDL #6

Almost done with my week of blogging about technology.

One thing that I am noticing with my technology-related experiences at work is that technology makes me feel really busy. I actually am not that busy at work, it is slow season.

When I am reading an article online (Seattle PI), the phone rings, I click out of the paper and start to work. After I am done putting some trip together, I don't click back to the article I was originally reading, because I found something else. Eventually I might get back to the original article, but most likely, unless it was really interesting, I won't. This leaves me feeling unfinished, like there's still a lot of stuff for me to get done. Sometimes I interrupt myself. I read part of an article and then I get a notice that someone has emailed me, I stop what I am doing and check my email...then get back to the article, or check Facebook. I can see that you would develop a certain skill from all of this. After time you figure out what really matters and you are aware of how much time you can waste reading articles that don't matter and click out and start fresh with new, more important things when you need/want to.

We just had to sign up for blackboard...so that is yet another thing to check up on. Now I have blackboard, facebook (class site/student site/my site), twitter, catalyst (for 556), our class website, my blog, am I forgetting anything? I am starting to feel overwhelmed, but I am also glad that I do have some time at work to check some of these things. It will be more difficult in Spring.

No comments:

Post a Comment