Sunday, October 4, 2009

Tweeting, blogging, facebooking

Wow. I have to say that this feels so strange. Talking, talking, talking. I personally prefer listening. I am a person who learns best from listening. Actually, I am not really talking, I am typing, typing, typing....but it feels like I'm talking (too much).

It is interesting to me that I feel like I am in a crowded room when I am logged into my twitter account. Fragments of conversation going on. It's like going to a party and eavesdropping on all the people around you. I can't get the whole conversation, only bits of it.

One thing that I discovered on the twitter page was the trends map. This is pretty cool. You can click on a topic that various people are talking about and zoom into the different conversations. I could see this as a useful tool for me to use in the future. This tool helps me to instantly know what topics are being the most talked about. Zombieland was huge, so was "Modern Warfare 2." I had never heard of the second topic and found out it is a game for Ps3. I think as a teacher, I could use this as one way to know what is popular, what maybe my students might be excited about.

I must say that I prefer Facebook to Twitter. Whereas tweets felt like sentences blurted out and out of context, Facebook seems to allow me to have more of a sense of conversation. For instance, I might say "I feel lousy today." A friend would then post a comment right under that. I could then respond to their response directly under. The conversation has roots and you can see the responses growing outward (or downward). I also really like that I can instantly see how my friends are doing (if they have made a post in the day). It is a lot easier to scroll down the screen on Facebook and comments are not limited to a certain number of words.

My most difficult experience is getting the hang of this blogging. I like the idea of blogging. It is a modern (and public) form of the journal. I get to express myself more fully than I can with tweets and even on Facebook. I just figured out how to get back on the blogging site, so it will help that I understand how to log in now (I cannot post when I go directly to my http site, I have to go to the main page...duh...).

No comments:

Post a Comment